Thursday 20 November 2014

Editing for a Living

While assisting others edit their stories the notion of earning a living as a freelance editor came to mind.  Although I would have to accumulate some experience on this front it's something that would be attainable since I have spent most of my life pursuing English literature informally and, for four years, formally.  I would have to learn not to put too much of myself in the process since I do have a tendency to arrange the works of others after my own style and preferences but I'm certain I would get better with practice.

I toss around ideas like this so I have options to deal with whatever the future holds.  I don't think I will ever have great difficulty finding a job thanks to the opportunities I've been fortunate enough to receive but as I get older and contemplate what I'd like out of the rest of my life doing what I love (and having the time for it) becomes increasingly important.  Working for oneself offers flexibility and chances for diversity that no day job ever could but can come at the price of security and a steady wage.  It's an intriguing idea but not one I think I'm quite ready to pursue.

Perhaps when I live in my paid-off, environmentally-friendly home with a large plot of vegetables I will feel more confident taking that step.

Image from http://io9.com/look-beneath-the-surface-of-these-incredible-undergroun-1269686668

No comments:

Post a Comment