Saturday 18 April 2015

Complexities of Life

I did not set myself a very ambitious writing goal for the April Camp NaNoWriMo but am pleased to say I am on schedule to achieve my word count goal.  This is the first time I've split my attention between two stories, the sequel to my 'Land and Sea' fanfiction, and a sequel to 'Call of the Black Panther'.  Although I have no idea how long it will take to finish the former I know that it will eventually find its way to the internet.  The latter sequel is still so new to me I'm not sure how it's going to pan out.  It's been many years since I initially wrote 'Call of the Black Panther' so me and my writing style have changed since the universe's inception.  I anticipate that this sequel will flow from multiple character perspectives more than its parent tale did.  Irene is an important part still but I am hoping to explore more of the 'gray' area that exists between the two human species.  Part of the reason it's difficult for me to discuss this project right now is because I'm still not sure where it's going to end-up.

Perhaps the main issue I've had as a mature author is trying to capture the essential complexity of life.  That is certainly what's been holding me up with the Rules Trilogy.  One has to have a destination in mind to know when they've reached it.  Selena's story grew very organically, thus was a perfect fit for previous NaNoWriMo projects.  The Panther sequel is also trying to take on some of that 'screw the plans' mentality.  Thankfully I am excited to follow these characters along as their story unfolds.  I suspect it is wise for me to simply follow the flow of inspiration and worry about the clean-up later.

Speaking of clean-up I'm fairly confident that 'Call of the Black Panther' is ready for the light of day.  I am still waiting on some feedback from my wonderful friends but it's basically the technicalities that remain to alter.  As I put the finishing touches on my Createspace account I am reminded of the obstacles that exist for a Canadian writer.  Since Amazon is a US-based company I am required to supply additional information (namely tax-related).  There is also the issue of compensation which, since direct deposit is available for only the US and Europe, restricts me to a payment option that depends on sales.  Thankfully I didn't go into writing to make money, although being able to support myself doing what I love is an ever-present dream.  Ultimately I am excited to see how the larger world feels about this little story and hope that it can provide some measure of enjoyment and insight.

Until the next update I leave you with an excerpt from my soon-to-be-published book (I still can't quite believe that's true1):


“Don’t go mad with the hate you feel!  Revenge only continues the cycle of violence.  We cannot avenge the dead, only attempt to save the living.”

Turning his gaze from within to her Arminius was ensnared by Irene's determined gaze.   Despite his best efforts to retain it, his anger steadily crumbled away, leaving in its place a strange sense of guilt.  He wanted so badly to crush all of the Creatures that had destroyed his home and friends – but what would doing so bring him in the end?  The thrill of glory and self-righteousness was a tempting brew yet he’d already tasted the shame associated with stooping to the tactics of those he hated.   Others might have considered it weakness to deny the ardor of vengeance but, looking down at the child clinging to Irene’s waist and then into her stead-fast eyes, Arminius knew that it was not fear or weakness to deny those tempting urges.  In this female’s eyes was compassion, compassion for the hate and pain he was feeling… and a stubborn refusal to give into rage.  Irene resolutely believed that only caring would allow peace to return and, given what violence had done for them, Arminius realised he was starting to share that belief."

© Katarina Claire E.R.

Image of a stream through a forest courtesy of Stauffer

No comments:

Post a Comment